Get started at http://www.coderdojokc.com/today
Welcome to CoderDojoKC! Let’s get you started! If you haven’t when you arrived, please fill out our demographics survey!
Step One: Wifi
1. Open up your internet connection and connect to “Fiber Public WiFi“
2. Can’t connect? Raise your hand and a mentor will get you a hotspot to connect to.
3. We recommend using the Google Chrome browser.
Step Two: Start Learning!
If you don’t know which programming language to start learning, we recommend Scratch (if Scratch is not to your speed, check out the typing.io link in the sidebar on the right).
You will need a parent or guardian’s help to create a Scratch login:
- Click “Join Scratch” in the upper right-hand corner of the Scratch site.
- Create a username that does not include your real name.
- Think of a password that you can remember easily. You should have your parent or guardian write this down and save it.
- Click “Next” and continue following the directions. You will need a valid email address (yours or your guardian’s) to continue.
Once you have a Scratch login, go through the tutorial to learn some of the ways to build something awesome in Scratch.
Step Three: Learn to Code
1. Are you brand new to coding? Start with Codecademy (recommended for 13 years & up) or Scratch (recommended for 12 years & under). Want to try building your own phone application? Check out App Inventor! Be sure to create an account and write down your username and password so you won’t forget!
2. Do you have a little coding under your belt? Are you ready to learn more? Check out these fun games:
- CodeCombat -Learn how to code by playing a game
- CSS Diner -A game for learning CSS selectors
- Flexbox Froggy – A game for learning CSS flexbox
- Super Markup Man – learn html
3. Were you working on a project from our last session? Feel free to continue on that, and ask mentors if you need any help!
4. Get started on the new project. We can’t wait to see what you create!
Step Four: Check Out the Projects
Mastery – Feeling masterful? Check out the requirements for our mastery badges. You can earn cool pins!
Today’s theme: Thank a teacher
The school year is quickly wrapping up. We have all learned much during this year. Bravo for a year well done! This month’s project is to build something to thank a teacher who helped us learn something awesome this year. Special bonus points: when you are done with this project, share it with your teacher. Believe us, your teacher will love it!
Step Five: Show Off!
Did you create something awesome based off of one of these projects? Come present it on stage! Presentations will start at 11:15am. Let a mentor know you want to show off your work. Scratch projects that will be presented will be added the CoderDojoKC Studio by Mentor Eric.
**Presentations may not contain any violence, gore, or bad words. (And we’re counting “sucks” as a bad word!)